The simple act of regaining gives us new potential, purpose and possibilities. By cultivating virtue and ingenuity we can best give and get the best in this world. Regain and many happy returns will follow!
The cause and effect how we use oil in American reveals both triumph and tragedy. Petroleum has been both a blessing and a curse for America. We comprise less than 5 percent of the world's population, but consume 25 percent of all oil produced or about 20 million barrels or 840 million gallons. Since 1751 when the Industrial Revolution began we used the amount of fossil fuels burned that is equivalent to all plant growth on Earth for the last 13,300 years. We use this black gold there's no end to the stuff, though experts estimate we've got 50-100 years' supply left at current consumption rates. The world is currently consuming oil at the rate of 30.2 billion barrels per year. Based on the forecasts 50 to 100 years forecast is our global supply. We, Americans consume about 20.6 million barrels of petroleum per day (7.5 billion barrels per year). Currently, about 70% of the petroleum we consume is used for transportation. Light duty vehicles and freight trucks take the...
At my fiftieth high school reunion last weekend, I reunited with the son of Senator Frank Church. In 1971, I had the honor of interviewing Senator Church—the statesman who dared to expose the CIA’s abuses of power. A decade later, I testified before Congress myself. Over the years, I have spoken at every level of government because I believe in the process of lawmaking—and in the sacred duty of citizens to speak truth to power. Today, that duty is under siege. Peaceful protesters are being met with indictments, intimidation, and even the deployment of the National Guard in our cities. The irony is bitter: James Comey’s actions helped Donald Trump ascend to the presidency, yet Trump now cries “insurrection” in Democratic strongholds—while failing to defend the Capitol itself, where police officers were killed and injured. We are drifting into a Brave New World of doublespeak, where dissent is branded as danger and patriotism is twisted into...
It is a great time be thankful. Both my skin and prostrate cancer are in remission. However, I am grieving since my 41 year old friend and next door neighbor died a few days ago. Recently I have trouble sleeping at night. I've learned a technique called "box breathing." At the exhale of my breath, I recite, "peace, love and joy." I also do that as I pause, after I inhale. It works! While death is inevitable experiencing grace, and wonder stimulates living. Neither avoiding nor holding on too tight may I embrace the "now" as the journey. May I be fearless, joyful and peaceful. Fully enthusiastic may my heart be free and well! Since I will never know when my last breath will be why not then celebrate the rebirth of each in breath? Not to be morbid yet fully fearless, awake, and accepting to whatever comes my way. Otherwise my anxiety may escalate into greater fear and negative states of being. Facing my limited time here, and embracing ...
Comments