Comic or Tragic?



As a baby boomer I am blessed to have enough savings to retire. Looking to my golden years with the acceleration of environmental decline.  Will the human race end sooner rather than later? Are we in a comedy or tragedy of survival? 

Now that I am on Medicare I can vividly remember infrequently seeing my Dad in my childhood. He was working overtime with Congress to legislate this and other Social Security bills. Years ago I embrace being a comic rather than a tragic figure.  Laughing and crying are closely aligned. 

As a young tennis champ I got a passport to travel and meeting supportive people. Becoming a tennis teacher in the off season I embraced preventing waste as my salvation. However I found out trying to save things is like Don Quixote attacking the windmill. Use it or lose it personifies why I am very skeptical. Does ending trumps mending?

Forty-three years ago I was the D.C. area and national Earth Day organizer. Before that in high school I wrote a paper citing our greatest challenge is our individual inner battle not others or nature.  As waste makers we adopted "out of sight, out of mind" attitude- an insane mentality.  Our nation's capital reflects both this effluence and affluence since we have become richly poor. 

Promoting a gift in thrift I created Ray Cycle. I made countless educational appearances even on the Capital steps on April Fools Day dressed as a court jester. I proclaimed you not dealing with a full deck when you throw the joker out.  

Every aspect of America is being dumped. Our health care, food and basic resources are mismanaged and discarded. I feel a terrible sense of where we make more money going bankrupt while destroying everything we value.  The almighty dollar must align itself with saving not depleting. 

Growing up I played in the Library Congress while my dad provided legislators with invaluable information. Besides supporting the Senate Finance and House Ways and Means Committees my father started the Capital Hill Tennis team. 

We are bombarded by an average of 7,000 messages a day compared to just 1600 just half a century ago. Distractions are the tenor of times. Many can not discern vice from virtue and fact from fiction. Emotions are boiling over and our calm is melting like an iceberg. 

Now in the Autumn years of my life I'm saddened by the lies in conspiracy theories.  Are we now in a horrific real life science fiction nightmare? Why is that billionaires last year made 40% more money and we stimulate greater corporate welfare?  What about sharing with those in need?  We are being consumed by the greed consumerism. Let's best sustain and plants seeds for the future.  May we work together to save for the common good.  Let's share our air, water and land before it is too late.  Please do not bury our freedom in the ground.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Page County Landfill Story

Despair in Repair

Renewed Light