Gift of Thrift

As a baby boomer I am blessed to have enough savings to retire. Looking at my golden years I hope to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  How can I leave something that adds or benefits?


Regardless of the fate of we humans planting seeds for the future is my wish.   Are we in a comedy or tragedy of survival? 

Now that I am on Medicare I remember barely seeing my Dad as a child. He was working overtime with Congress to legislate this and other Social Security bills. 

As a young tennis player I got to travel the region. Becoming a tennis teacher in the off season I embraced preventing pollution as my salvation.  To serve in tennis is the critical and all about the toss.  Like toilet training it is imperative to get it in.  Keeping ball in the court is the key. I even played on the Capitol Hill tennis team that my Dad helped form.

In 1980, I was the D.C. and national Earth Day organizer.  Six years before I wrote a high school environmental paper citing our greatest challenge was our self destructive habits.

It was just half a lifetime ago invented a comic rather character called "Ray Cycle"sharing this trademark with Connecticut. I made countless appearances at university symposiums, schools, hearings, and conferences.  On April 1, 1987 my congresswoman allowed me to perform at noon on the Capitol steps dressed as court jester. I proclaimed,"You not dealing with a full deck when you throw the joker out". 

However, trying to save things in the U.S. is like Don Quixote attacking a windmill. Use it or lose it personifies our downfall.  Our health care, food and basic resources are disrespected, mismanaged and discarded. 

Resource management is paramount.  Otherwise we're being consumed by our consumerism.  Today we are bombarded by over 7,000 messages a day compared to just 1600 just half a century ago.  Let's focus on the virtues of savings. Economy means keeping. This can be our gift for the future.  Once we cherish all things as sacred a new freedom with ring from these "happy returns due to gift of thrift."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Page County Landfill Story

Despair in Repair

Renewed Light